The Healthy Highlights of Nice

nice_425

Recently, I returned from a snowboarding trip with my hubby to the Swiss and French Alps. In between all the snowboarding, we also made time for six days in Nice. Nice is situated on the South of France, framed by the stunning Mediterranean Sea, and is part of a region known as the French Riviera. We were there in the middle of winter, so the temperatures ranged from about 11°C to 2°C. I found it hard to eat healthy sometimes because of the language barrier. Even though I studied French in school, I was often unsure of what I was actually ordering! A lot of lot of French food, however, is naturally healthy, based around good, quality, fresh local ingredients. Here are my top seven favourite active and healthy things to do in this lovely seaside town:

1) Climb up the many stairs of Castle Hill to be rewarded with the amazing, picture perfect view of the bright blue Mediterranean Sea.

nice1

2) Shop for fresh fruit and vegetables at the famous flower markets found in the old part of Nice, known as ‘Vieux Nice’. All the bright flowers lined up are absolutely gorgeous! These markets specialise in flowers more than fruit and vegetables, but you can find a few stalls selling fresh produce.

nice3

3) Have a nutrient-packed green smoothie. Smoothies definitely don’t seem to be as ‘in’ in France as they are in Australia or America; however, I did find one place that sold them called ‘So Green’. It was a casual cafe selling simple healthy food like salads, wraps, juices and smoothies.

nice4

4) Walk, jog or ride along the Promenade des Anglais. This famous and very popular path stretches along the Mediterranean waterfront. I was amazed by how many people were exercising along it at every hour of the day, even though it was the middle of winter! I went for a walk or ran some intervals every day we were here, which was one of my favourite memories of my time in Nice.

nice5

5) Walk and marvel at the beautiful fountains in the centre of Nice at Place Massena. The fountains would be a perfect setting for a romantic scene in a movie, I thought. 🙂

nice6

6) Have a real Nicoise salad! The classic Nicoise salad which is popular at cafes and restaurants all over the world originated from Nice! If you don’t already know, a Nicoise salad is composed of tomatoes, tuna, hard-boiled eggs, anchovies, olives and a vinaigrette. It may also have lettuce leaves, red capsicum and artichoke hearts. I had quite a few salads in Nice and they were all delicious – very large and full of lots of ‘yummy’ bits like olives, eggs, feta and tuna.

nice7

7) Try some different protein sources – snails and frogs legs! Come on: be brave! Paleo peeps are eating crickets now so how are snails and frogs any different? Snails or escargot are an excellent source of lean protein.  They also tasted super yum, (like mushrooms) cooked with olive oil, garlic and pesto. The frog legs were just as good. They were cooked into a typical dish known as Cuisses de Grenouille which involves cooking the frog legs with butter, garlic and parsley sauce. In 100g of frog legs or snails, you get 16g protein and less than 2g fat and carbohydrates. That’s just a few less grams than you would find in a chicken breast!

nice8

nice9

I hope this post helps to give you a heads-up on some of the foods and activities you shouldn’t miss if you spend time in Nice. Please comment below if you have been and let me know what you loved about this beautiful sunny place!

Au revoir!

Holly x

2017-07-10T19:35:27+00:00 23 February 2015|Categories: LIVE|Tags: , , , |19 Comments

19 Comments

1. Kevin Daniels 23 February 2015 at 12:23 pm - Reply

Hi Holly.

I really enjoyed the read.

Helped to break up me day. Thought I was on holiday……

Regards,

Kevin

2. Holly Brownlie 23 February 2015 at 3:29 pm - Reply

Hi Kevin!
    I’m so glad you enjoyed my write-up on Nice! Thanks for reading and have a great rest of your day! 🙂
    Holly

3. Rose 23 February 2015 at 8:05 pm - Reply

Loved reading this post, it reminded me of my time in Nice when I studied there in the summer one year. I went swimming everyday and walked half an hour to school and back.

• Holly Brownlie 24 February 2015 at 11:47 am - Reply

Wow I went swimming once and it was FREEZING! Bet it was nice in Summer though 🙂 I’m so glad you enjoyed this post thanks so much for reading! xx

4. Holzter 25 February 2015 at 11:07 am - Reply

Thanks for the great read Holly! Sam and I are heading across there in June and cannot wait!

I am definitely going to look out for SO Green and am looking forward to climbing up and down the stairs etc.

Thanks for the tips! 🙂

• Holly Brownlie 26 February 2015 at 10:27 am - Reply

Hi Holly!
      Thanks so much for reading! 🙂 How exciting that you’re going to beautiful Nice in just a few months! Those stairs are so worth the effort it’s the most beautiful view! I’ll look forward to hearing how you find it when you get back.

5. freckle me silly 24 March 2015 at 10:50 pm - Reply

Wow, those views are incredible! Love your picture at the fountains. And you are so brave to try frog legs and snails! I can’t even eat one of those candies with a cricket inside.

• Holly Brownlie 25 March 2015 at 1:11 pm - Reply

Haha I do enjoy ‘cultural eating’ when travelling. I’v never tried a cricket candy though! Thanks for your comment I’m glad you enjoyed my post and photos 🙂

6. Sweet Tea Sweetie 25 March 2015 at 1:14 am - Reply

I love that you focused on the healthy choices that you can make while traveling. I actually really like frogs legs. Yum!
    Kari

• Holly Brownlie 25 March 2015 at 1:22 pm - Reply

I do a ‘healthy highlights of _______’ for every place I travel to, glad you enjoyed this one on Nice! 🙂 Frogs legs were surprisingly good weren’t they! Who would have thought 😛

7. Laura Kate 25 March 2015 at 4:02 am - Reply

Love your cute pictures. I adore the south of France and enjoyed your spring time write up. Glad you enjoyed it x

• Holly Brownlie 25 March 2015 at 1:24 pm - Reply

Thanks so much Laura! I will have to pass on the compliment to my hubby because he took all the photos with me in. x

• Laura Kate 27 March 2015 at 11:37 pm - Reply

Ah well done him 🙂 have a lovely weekend x

8. peeledwellness 25 March 2015 at 6:37 am - Reply

Hey Holly! You are much braver than I am when it comes to trying new cuisines- thanks for linking up your experiences! I can’t wait to see what you have for us next week!
    Xoxo K

• Holly Brownlie 25 March 2015 at 1:28 pm - Reply

Hi K! Haha I see cultural eating as part of the experience of travelling 🙂 Thanks for hosting the link-up again I love it!!
      Holly xx

9. Crafty Coin 26 March 2015 at 12:56 am - Reply

Oh my goodness. This post is making me swoon over France! I taught English in the Lorraine region for a year after college and loved all the traveling I got to do. This makes me want to go back so badly!

– BreAnna

• Holly Brownlie 3 April 2015 at 5:39 pm - Reply

Oh my gosh Breanna what an amazing experience! You’ll definitely have to go back sometime x

10. […] ‘healthy highlights’ of Whistler, you may also enjoy the posts I did on Port Douglas, Nice and […]

11. […] I have previously written about the healthy things to do when on holidays in Whistler, Honolulu, Nice and Port Douglas. I like to focus on writing about just the ‘healthy highlights’ of […]