Healthy Peanut Butter Cups

healthy-peanut-butter-cups

I had my first Reece’s Peanut Butter Cup when travelling around America in 2012. It was love at first taste! This healthy version tastes just as yummy as the original, but they are actually good for you! Plus, like anything I make in the kitchen, they are very simple and quick! Due to the high fat content, they are a bit of a calorie bomb, so consume them slowly and mindfully (and try to stop after one or two!)

This recipe has been adapted from www.lifemadewhole.com.

Serves 12

Ingredients

Peanut Butter filling:
3/4 cup / 200g natural peanut butter (it doesn’t matter whether you use chunky or smooth)
Pinch Himalayan salt
1/4 cup liquid coconut oil
2 tbs raw honey

Chocolate layer:
2 tbs liquid coconut oil
2 tbs / 28g organic grass-fed butter, melted
1 tbs cacao powder
2 tbs raw honey

Method

1. In a medium jug, combine the peanut butter filling ingredients. Stir well so the honey is well-combined and doesn’t sink to the bottom.
  2. Pour the mixture evenly between 12 silicon medium muffin moulds.
  3. Place on a flat space in the freezer for at least 20 minutes.
  4. Meanwhile make the chocolate layer by mixing together all ingredients thoroughly in a small bowl.
  5. Spoon chocolate layer evenly over the peanut butter mixture.
  6. Place back in the freezer for at least 20 minutes. When ready to eat, simply pop out of the moulds. Store any not eaten immediately in the freezer.
Nutritional info per serve:
Calories Carbohydrates Fat Protein
200 7.7g 17.1g 5.2g

25 Comments

1. ReyShelley 17 March 2015 at 3:20 am - Reply

These are exactly what I have been craving! Thanks for the post! 🙂

2. Holly Brownlie 17 March 2015 at 7:36 am - Reply

Fantastic I hope you enjoy them! 🙂

3. aliyajaderosa 17 March 2015 at 8:31 pm - Reply

I cannot wait to try these-I have a version on my blog, but they are the opposite of healthy! Great blog-glad I found you!

• Holly Brownlie 18 March 2015 at 6:58 pm - Reply

Oo i hope your like them! I think they taste pretty much as good as the unhealthy version. I’m curious to check your version out on your blog!

4. deliciouscityliving 17 March 2015 at 8:36 pm - Reply

I love peanut butter cups! I’ve actually been looking for a recipe for a good homemade version and I’m drawn to your ingredient list! 🙂

• Holly Brownlie 18 March 2015 at 6:58 pm - Reply

Oh that’s fantastic! The ingredients are all very common, natural and unprocessed. I love them too! 😛

5. madeitloveItpaleo 17 March 2015 at 9:14 pm - Reply

Ooooh, yum! These look amazing 🙂

6. Robin_DailySprinklesBlog 17 March 2015 at 9:19 pm - Reply

These look heavenly! For pretty much the first time ever I’m getting serious about eating healthy -so happy I found your blog!

• Holly Brownlie 18 March 2015 at 6:56 pm - Reply

Hi Robin! Yay that is so awesome you are starting on a health journey. I’m sure you are going to feel amazing as you start to make little changes to your lifestyle and habits. I’m honoured me and my blog can be apart of that for you! Holly x

7. Sweet Tea Sweetie 18 March 2015 at 1:50 am - Reply

I LOVE Reeses Peanut Butter cup, but I never get them because they are so full of not good for you ingredients. I like this clean eating version!
    Kari

• Holly Brownlie 18 March 2015 at 6:55 pm - Reply

I love Reeses too! They were probably my favourite food I tried when traveling around America. Thanks for your comment and I hope you like my clean version if you get around to trying them! 🙂

8. sashahayman 18 March 2015 at 2:10 am - Reply

Ohhh my, these look amazing. Are they still healthy if I eat all 12?? Also, love that you post the nutritional info! Will have to make these.

• Holly Brownlie 18 March 2015 at 6:52 pm - Reply

Good to know the nutritional info is helpful thanks for your feedback! Haha they’re very filling I’m sure you’ll be satisfied before eating 12 🙂

9. megstermeter 18 March 2015 at 3:46 am - Reply

Um, YUM!! 🙂

10. peeledwellness 18 March 2015 at 4:25 am - Reply

These are such a clever remake of a classic American junk food! Thanks for sharing at my link up- your blog is beautiful!
    K

• Holly Brownlie 18 March 2015 at 6:50 pm - Reply

Thanks for having me at your link up – it’s a fabulous idea I love it!

11. kamillej2014 18 March 2015 at 3:43 pm - Reply

Shall try with rice bran syrup(I’m a no sugar girl). They look lovely:)
    Skinny jeans Mum

• Holly Brownlie 18 March 2015 at 6:50 pm - Reply

Yes I agree they would be nice with rice malt syrup! Enjoy 🙂

12. theracheljordan 20 March 2015 at 11:01 am - Reply

STOP I am sick and craving dessert! Maybe my man will go grab me the ingredients… 🙂
    Cheers,
    Rachel
    fairytalefit.wordpress.com

• Holly Brownlie 20 March 2015 at 12:51 pm - Reply

Aw I hope he does Rachel! It’s the worst when you’re craving something but are too sick to have the energy to make it 🙁

13. Tell ‘em Tuesday [4] | peeled. 24 March 2015 at 1:30 pm - Reply

[…] top clicked post came from Holly at Eat Move Live Well. It’s comforting to know that so many of us sharing a burning love for peanut butter cups! […]

14. peeledwellness 24 March 2015 at 10:45 pm - Reply

Hey Hollie! this was the top clicked post last week at the Tell ‘Em Tuesday link up, you’re featured this week! Help yourself to a ‘featured’ button if you’d life, have a great day!
    xoxo K

• Holly Brownlie 25 March 2015 at 12:38 pm - Reply

Hi! Wow that is so exciting this is my biggest blogging achievement so far woo hoo! Thank you so much for hosting the link-up I love it! There are always so many great posts to check out.