I’ve now been home from my North America holiday for three weeks and if there’s one thing I miss it’s Chilli Con Carne! It was available everywhere in Canada and America! This recipe is how I like to make my turkey version of Chilli Con Carni. I love to make it for dinner served with lots of steamed veggies. The leftovers are delicious for lunch the next day. It’s a lovely hot comfort food, perfect for us Aussies who are right now in the heart of winter.
1 tbs coconut oil
1 onion, diced
1 red capsicum, diced
2 tsp garlic, minced
500g turkey mince
1/4 tsp chilli powder
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp dried oregano
2 large tomatoes diced
1 cup chicken or vegetable stock
140g tomato paste
400g can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
Salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat the oil in a large pan or pot on medium heat. Add the onion, capsicum and garlic and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Increase the heat to high and cook the mince for 5 minutes, breaking up any lumps with a wooden spoon.
- Add the herbs, tomatoes, stock and tomato paste and bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the kidney beans and season with salt and pepper. Heat through for 5 minutes before serving.
- You can increase the amount of chilli powder if you like spicy food.
- If turkey mince is unavailable, substitute with chicken mince.
Nutritional info per serve: