If you’re eating healthy, exercising regularly and living a healthy lifestyle but still can’t lose weight, chances are that your portions are too large. If tracking everything you eat in an app isn’t something you’ve got time for, here are some tips to help you be less hungry and eat less:
- Drink a minimum of 3L water a day. Thirst is often mistaken for hunger.
- Exercise at a moderate to high intensity three times a week. This intensity of exercise regulates your appetite control hormones (gherlin and leptin). It only needs to be for 20-30 minutes to get these benefits. If I’m not exercising for a while, I definitely notice because I can eat and eat and never feel full!
- Aim to have half a teaspoon of cinnamon or more a day. It regulates your blood sugar levels so you won’t feel hungry a short time after eating.
- Aim to eat protein and fats at every meal (including morning tea and afternoon tea – they are meals, too!) These macronutrients are very satisfying and will regulate your blood sugar levels. Ever felt just as hungry when you’ve eaten one of those diet, no-fat, artificial, everything-packed yoghurts? Opt for a nice full-fat Greek yoghurt or coconut yogurt instead. It will actually satiate you.
- Get eight hours sleep. Inadequate sleep significantly affects the hormones which control your appetite.
- Caffeine can decrease your appetite. In the afternoon I often feel like eating the entire contents of the fridge, so I have a coffee first. Then I am quite satisfied with a ‘normal’ sized healthy snack.
- Limit the amount of sugar you eat. It is an appetite stimulant! If you are craving something sweet after a meal, eat fruit! The sugars in fruit are combined with ‘good stuff’ like fibre which fills you up rather than makes you hungrier.
- Measure out foods that are high calorie even if they are healthy. Just because a food is healthy doesn’t mean you can eat endless amounts and lose weight. Whenever I eat my homemade granola, I always measure out a half cup rather than just pouring it into my bowl. If I’m going to have some nuts with a protein shake and an apple for afternoon tea, I will measure out 10-12 rather than just eating straight from the container.
I hope these tips help you to feel less hungry and over-eat less so you can reach your goals. You can’t expect change to happen unless you make changes, so give a few of my suggestions above a go!