I absolutely love eating breakfast out at different cafes. I think breakfast foods are the tastiest! Having them cooked for you and served with a lovely flat white is such an indulgent way to start the weekend. It’s hard to not have a bad day after a start like that; however, I often think, ‘I could easily recreate something like this at home for a quarter of the price’. If you’re like me and have found yourself thinking the same thing, here’s a recipe I created based on lots of delicious breakfasts I have enjoyed at various cafes for you to try at home!
1 soft avocado
pepper, freshly cracked
1 tsp lemon juice
1 tbs white vinegar
2 slices bread of your choice (I use homemade Paleo bread)
10g organic butter
10 cherry tomatoes
2 large handfuls baby spinach
50g danish feta
2 tbs chives, chopped
- To make smashed avocado: In a small bowl, smash the avocado roughly with the back of a fork. Add a sprinkle of salt, pepper and the lemon juice. Set aside.
- To poach the eggs: Bring a saucepan filled with 2 inches of water to the boil. Once boiling add the vinegar, reduce the heat slightly so the water is only simmering, and crack the eggs one at a time into a mug and then gently slip into the water. Poach for 2 minutes, then remove with a slotted spoon onto a paper towel.
- Pop toast in the toaster. Preheat a medium frypan over medium heat. Add the butter so it melts.
- Sauté the baby spinach and tomatoes in the butter.
- To assemble the dish top the toast with smashed avocado, poached eggs, crumbled feta and chopped chives. On the side, serve the sautéed tomatoes and spinach.
- Fresh eggs work best for poaching.
- The timing for poached eggs depends on the size of the eggs and how runny you like your yolk, so adjust if necessary.
- The nutritional information below is based on using the homemade Paleo Bread recipe from Jo Whitton’s Quirky Cooking cookbook. If you use a different bread the calories and macronutrients will of course be slightly different.
- This is a very high-calorie breakfast. I like to have it on a morning where I sleep in so have it as my breakfast and morning tea calories combined!
Nutritional info per serve: