This recipe is a much healthier version of pasta. It is packed with vegetables and lean protein with a moderate amount of pasta. I believe if you are exercising regularly it is not necessary to exclude pasta and other starchy carbohydrates such as bread from your diet all together. They just need to be eaten in moderation. This is a lovely quick weeknight dinner and the leftovers are perfect for lunch the next day (hm I tend to say that a lot on my recipe posts, I am a clear fan of time efficiency!)
Serves 5 x 400g serves
250g spiral pasta (gluten free if necessary)
400g pumpkin, cut into small cubes
1 small zucchini, cut into small cubes
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1/2 tsp himalayan salt
1 tsp dried or fresh mixed herbs
1/2 tsp garlic powder
2 x (600g) chicken breasts, cut into small pieces
1/2 red onion, diced
400g can diced tomatoes
250g reduced fat ricotta
1 handful fresh basil leaves, roughly torn
- Preheat oven to 200°C. In a large bowl combine pumpkin and zucchini with oil, salt, thyme and garlic powder.
- Spread vegetables on to two large lined baking trays so they are not touching and bake for 25 minutes.
- Cook pasta according to pack instructions.
- Cook chicken in a frypan over medium heat. Add onion and baby spinach and cook until done.
- Add ricotta and tomatoes and heat through.
- Drain pasta and toss in a large bowl with the roast vegetables and chicken mixture.
- Sprinkle with basil leaves to serve.