Updated June 2018.
Originally first published July 2015.
I’ve now been home from my North America holiday for three weeks and if there’s one thing I miss it’s Chilli Con Carne! It was available everywhere in Canada and America! This recipe is how I like to make my turkey version of Chilli Con Carne. I love to make it for dinner served with lots of steamed veggies. The leftovers are delicious for lunch the next day. It’s a lovely hot comfort food, perfect for us Aussies who are right now in the heart of winter.
1 tbs coconut oil
1 onion, diced
1 red capsicum, diced
2 tsp garlic, minced
500g turkey mince
1/8 tsp chilli powder
1/4 tsp onion powder
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp dried oregano
2 large tomatoes diced
1 cup chicken or vegetable stock
140g tomato paste
400g can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
Salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat the oil in a large pan or pot on medium heat. Add the onion, capsicum and garlic and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Increase the heat to high and cook the mince for 5 minutes, breaking up any lumps with a wooden spoon.
- Add the herbs, tomatoes, stock and tomato paste and bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the kidney beans and season with salt and pepper. Heat through for 5 minutes before serving.
Slow Cooker Method
- Cook onion and mince in the coconut oil in your pot over medium heat, breaking up meat for 10 minutes (if your slow cooker pot is not stove-top suitable do this in a large frypan).
- Transfer pot to your slow cooker. Add all other ingredients, give a stir and cook on high for 3 hours.
- You can increase the amount of chilli powder if you like spicy food.
- If turkey mince is unavailable, substitute with chicken mince.
- For an extra 100 calories you can top your bowl with 15g light mozzarella shredded cheese, 50g chobani no fat yoghurt and 25g sliced avocado – this is so yum!
Nutritional info per serve: