It’s less than three weeks until my due date! Eek very exciting times! I can’t wait to hold my baby. I can’t wait to dress my baby in all the cute tiny clothes I have for it! I can’t wait to find out if it’s a boy or a girl. I can’t wait to go for walks with the pram. And I can’t wait to not be pregnant anymore. But first, I have to get through labour. After reading extensively about all the side effects and risks associated with medical intervention and drugs, I am aiming for a drug-free, natural water birth in a birth centre, under the care of an experienced midwife. I understand that anything can happen during birth and things rarely go to plan or the way you imagine them, but as long as I end up with a healthy baby it’s all good! 🙂
However, you may as well aim for the ideal scenario right? So, one of the things that I am doing to help with managing the pain is using positive birth mantras. Some people call them affirmations. Your thoughts have a powerful affect on your body, from affecting hormones to heart rate. In the same way that during a long distance run I will tell myself positive thoughts to keep myself pumped, motivated and focused, I will be telling myself the following positive thoughts during labour. These are currently on my bathroom mirror so I can practice them and knock any anxiety about birth on the head.
- Globally 95% of births are uncomplicated.
- My body is perfectly designed to give birth naturally.
- Birth is a natural and normal process.
- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
- I have given 100% to making my baby healthy and will continue to do so.
- Don’t give up!
- I am a strong woman, I can do this.
- Every contraction is bringing me one step closer to meeting my baby.
- Don’t fight the pain, go with it. This is a good pain and will end eventually.
- Pain is temporary, quitting is forever.
- The fear of giving birth is the main cause of pain in labour. Take a deep breath, relax and stay calm.
- My mum had all three natural births, so it’s highly likely I’ll be able to, too.
- I can’t wait to be in labour. I’ve been training for this mentally and physically for ages. I’m prepared for this. I got this.
- “Have faith in God,” Jesus answered. “I tell you the truth, if anyone says to this mountain, ‘Go, throw yourself into the sea,’ and does not doubt in his heart but believes that what he says will happen, it will be done for him. Therefore, I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours.” (Mark 11:22-24)
- The Lord gives strength to his people, the Lord blesses his people with peace. (Psalm 29:11)
- If God is for me, who then can be against me? (Romans 8:31)
- For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self discipline. (2 Timothy 1:7)
- Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified, do not be discouraged for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go. (Joshua 1:9)
- We will have a safe and positive birth.
If you had any birth mantras that helped you, feel free to share in the comments below! Thanks for sharing in my pregnancy journey with me, it’s lovely to have all the interest and support shared through this blog and on social media.